We have an optimistic view of humanity, and we believe in the potency of using design as a tool for actionable change.
At Mason Studio, we design thoughtfully and care deeply, guided by our innate need to “make better”. This is not just to affect the world but to understand both the opportunities we have and the possibilities we can create to bring real value to society, an experience or a personal moment in a meaningful way.
Our team is diverse academically, culturally and personally - and we bring our whole selves to each of our projects to express the richness of humanity and enhance the value of the design experience. While all our designers are trained in interior design, we have expertise in architecture, furniture design, human sciences, art consultancy, art history, fine arts, textile design, graphic design, business, finance and economics.
We have had the pleasure of partnering with worldwide clients to co-create unconventional and successful solutions.
Select clients include:
Slate Asset Management
Alo Food Group
Viceroy Hospitality Group
Valor Hospitality Partners
Co-Founder, Executive Director
Ashley RumseyBID Hons, NCIDQ, IDC, ARIDO, LEED AP
Ashley Rumsey brings the highest standards to both the design vision of projects and the management of the Mason Studio team. An advocate of purposeful design, Ashley has been a key part of the development of Mason Studio’s innovative research-based process. She ensures design decisions are thoughtfully evaluated based on their potential contribution to the end user, design process, and client’s goals. Her collaborative approach ensures a broad-based perspective, leveraging the skills and knowledge of the entire team to fully inform each design project. As a respected leader in the Canadian design community, Ashley has also been featured in international design media and regularly participates in thought leadership at notable conferences and events.
Co-Founder, Creative Director
Stanley SunBID Hons, BSC Hons, NCIDQ, IDC, ARIDO, BCIN
Stanley Sun’s vision is informed by a unique blend of formal studies in human sciences, fine arts and interior design. Approaching each challenge with a combined scientific and humanistic perspective, he first observes how people experience and react to the built environment to create a rational and intuitive design solution. Of particular interest to Stanley’s practice is the science of light and the physiological and psychological response people have to light. As an advocate for Canadian design, Stanley has been published widely and has participated as a keynote speaker at leading design conferences. He is also a sessional instructor at his alma mater, Toronto Metropolitan University.
- 2023 - APR / Chinese Design - Gold Winner Interior Built
- 2023 - World Interiors News / Bronze - Residential Interiors - Runxi Towers
- 2020 - ACD Awards / Resilient Retail Concept
- 2019 - Gold Key Awards / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Excellence - Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - World Interiors / Gold - Jing'an Townhouse, Shanghai
- 2019 - Restaurant & Bar Design Awards / Virtuous Pie
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Merit - PurParket
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Merit - Virtuous Pie
- 2019 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada - PurParket
- 2019 - IDS / Best Booth Design
- 2018 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Picnic Food
- 2018 - Best of Canada Awards / Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - Best of Canada Awards / Picnic Food
- 2017 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: La Banane
- 2016 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Cabin Residences
- 2015 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Village Juicery
- 2023 - eliteGen Magazine / Harmonious Habitation: Mason Studio brings their minimalist-chic style to the Runxi Residences
- 2023 - Pure Luxury Magazine / Mason Studio – Creating a Unique Design Language 創造獨有 設計語言
- 2023 - The Spaces / Monochrome plays a starring role at Toronto restaurant Alobar Downtown
- 2023 - Toronto Sun / Past, present and future on display at IKEA open house
- 2023 - Designlines / IKEA Celebrates 80th Anniversary With First-Ever Open House Event
- 2023 - Office Snapshots / Lifetime Liberty Market Tower Leasing Office – Toronto
- 2023 - OnOffice Magazine / Smells Like Community Spirit
- 2023 - Blog ARIDO / Rich pops of colour embellish this flexible and collaborative workspace
- 2023 - Office Snapshots / Mason Studio Integrated Workspace
- 2023 - Trend Hunter / Mason Studio Redesigned Its Toronto Office For "The Greater Good"
- 2023 - BluPrint Magazine / Work and Inspiration: Mason Studio’s Office as an ideal Workspace
- 2023 - FRAME Magazine / Can workplaces foster social wellbeing beyond their own employees?
- 2023 - Canadian Interiors / Creating Engagement - May/June 2023 cover feature
- 2023 - The Toronto Star / Making Contact across Toronto with award-winning photography
- 2023 - Hotelier Magazine / Hotel bathrooms become a focal point for designers
- 2023 - Dezeen / Mason Studio reimagines its Toronto workspace "for the greater good"
- 2023 - NUVO Magazine / Design Space: Lady Bird Bar by Mason Studio
- 2022 - Interior Design / 10 Questions with Ashley Rumsey and Stanley Sun
- 2022 - Azure / Communal Condo Kitchen
- 2022 - Designlines / Mason Studio thoughtfully designs Regent Park Condominium
- 2022 - Interior Design / Kimpton Banneker Hotel in Washington, D.C.
- 2022 - Wallpaper / Mason Studio put the focus on local artists in the new Kimpton Banneker hotel in Washington, DC
- 2022 - Azure / 8 Inspiring Design Events To Check Out At DesignTO 2022
- 2021 - Forbes / LadyBird Washington DC's most stylish rooftop bar
- 2021 - Interior Design China / Mason Studio's New Work - Runxi Residences
- 2021 - Interior Design / Big Ideas - Mobile Retail
- 2021 - House & Home / Tommy Smythe - Latest Designers To Turn His Head
- 2021 - Design Milk / Friday Five
- 2020 - Azure / Rethinking Retail
- 2020 - Designlines / Show Us Where You Live
- 2020 - Interior Design / Mason Studio Designs Minimalist Shanghai Interior
- 2020 - Pure Luxury / The Beauty of Canadian Design
- 2019 - Design Anthology / New Hotels - Kimpton Saint George
- 2019 - Design Milk / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - Toronto Life / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2018 - Wallpaper / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2018 - New York Times / An Ottawa Hotel is an ode to Canada
- 2018 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada: Hospitality, Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada: Retail, Picnic Food
- 2018 - Designlines / Step into a A Dreamy Canuck Loo
- 2017 - Wallpaper / Best Urban Hotels 2017: the shortlist
- 2017 - Azure / Canada 150: 30 Canadian Interior Design Studios Making Their Mark
- 2017 - The Telegraph / Andaz Ottawa Byward Market
- 2017 - Designlines / Canada 150: TO Firms Defining Canadian Design
- 2017 - re:Porter / La Banane
- 2016 - Toronto Life / Best Architects and Designers Right Now
- 2015 - Dwell / A Spacious Toronto Triplex Responds to Rising Urban Density
- 2015 - Azure / The Best of Toronto Design Week
- 2014 - Azure / 5 Magical Projects by Mason Studio
- 2013 - Dezeen / Cloud Installation by Mason Studio