Design is our tool to create meaningful and inspiring human experiences.
Based in Toronto, with a practice that spans the world, we create award-winning luxury hospitality, retail, and multi-unit residential design projects, to experimental exhibitions. With every project, we seek to broaden our insights to enrich the lives of everyone we touch.
Our founding partners Stanley Sun and Ashley Rumsey, bring international experience and a distinct perspective to the design process that combines art and science. No matter the project scale, or the location, our belief that design can create meaningful experiences remains steadfast.
Our talented team of design professionals works collaboratively with our clients to create unconventional solutions and a renewed perspective of everyday spaces. The team brings international experience with expertise from design development, technical drawing to construction coordination.
Select Client List
Viceroy Hospitality Group
Valor Hospitality Partners
King Street Food Co.
Ashley RumseyBID HONS, NCIDQ, IDC, ARIDO, LEEP AP
Ashley Rumsey brings the highest level of standards to both the design vision of projects and to the management of the Mason Studio team. An advocate of purposeful design, Ashley has been a key part of the development of Mason Studio’s innovative research-based process. She ensures design decisions are thoughtfully evaluated based on their potential contribution to the end user, design process, and client’s goals. Her collaborative approach ensures a broad-based perspective, leveraging the skills and knowledge of the entire team to fully inform each design project. Ashley has successfully led projects in China, North America and the Middle East. Most recently, she was the lead designer for the award-winning hotel project Kimpton Saint George, Toronto. As a respected leader in the Canadian design community, Ashley has also been featured in international design media and regularly participates in thought leadership at notable conferences and events.
Stanley SunBID HONS, BSC HONS, NCIDQ, IDC, ARIDO, BCIN
Stanley Sun’s design vision is informed by a unique blend of formal studies in human sciences, fine arts and interior design training. Approaching each new design challenge with a combined scientific and humanistic perspective, he first observes how people experience and react to the built environment to then create a rational and intuitive design solution. Of particular interest to Stanley’s practice is the science of light, and the physiological and psychological response people have to lighting. Throughout his career, Stanley has led major interior design projects across Asia, North America and Europe. He recently led the award-winning Jing'An project in Shanghai. As an advocate for Canadian design, Stanley has been published widely and has participated as a keynote speaker at leading design conferences. He has also lectured as a sessional instructor at his alma mater, Ryerson School of Interior Design.
- 2020 - ACD Awards / Resilient Retail Concept
- 2019 - Gold Key Awards / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Excellence - Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - World Interiors / Gold - Jing'an Townhouse, Shanghai
- 2019 - Restaurant & Bar Design Awards / Virtuous Pie
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Merit - PurParket
- 2019 - ARIDO / Award of Merit - Virtuous Pie
- 2019 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada - PurParket
- 2019 - IDS / Best Booth Design
- 2018 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Picnic Food
- 2018 - Best of Canada Awards / Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - Best of Canada Awards / Picnic Food
- 2017 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: La Banane
- 2016 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Cabin Residences
- 2015 - ARIDO / Award of Merit: Village Juicery
- 2022 - Interior Design / Kimpton Banneker Hotel in Washington, D.C.
- 2022 - Wallpaper / Mason Studio put the focus on local artists in the new Kimpton Banneker hotel in Washington, DC
- 2022 - Azure / 8 Inspiring Design Events To Check Out At DesignTO 2022
- 2021 - Forbes / LadyBird Washington DC's most stylish rooftop bar
- 2021 - Interior Design China / Mason Studio's New Work - Runxi Residences
- 2021 - Interior Design / Big Ideas - Mobile Retail
- 2021 - House & Home / Tommy Smythe - Latest Designers To Turn His Head
- 2021 - Design Milk / Friday Five
- 2020 - Azure / Rethinking Retail
- 2020 - Designlines / Show Us Where You Live
- 2020 - Interior Design / Mason Studio Designs Minimalist Shanghai Interior
- 2020 - Pure Luxury / The Beauty of Canadian Design
- 2019 - Design Anthology / New Hotels - Kimpton Saint George
- 2019 - Design Milk / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2019 - Toronto Life / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2018 - Wallpaper / Kimpton Saint George Hotel
- 2018 - New York Times / An Ottawa Hotel is an ode to Canada
- 2018 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada: Hospitality, Andaz Hotel
- 2018 - Canadian Interiors / Best of Canada: Retail, Picnic Food
- 2018 - Designlines / Step into a A Dreamy Canuck Loo
- 2017 - Wallpaper / Best Urban Hotels 2017: the shortlist
- 2017 - Azure / Canada 150: 30 Canadian Interior Design Studios Making Their Mark
- 2017 - The Telegraph / Andaz Ottawa Byward Market
- 2017 - Designlines / Canada 150: TO Firms Defining Canadian Design
- 2017 - re:Porter / La Banane
- 2016 - Toronto Life / Best Architects and Designers Right Now
- 2015 - Dwell / A Spacious Toronto Triplex Responds to Rising Urban Density
- 2015 - Azure / The Best of Toronto Design Week
- 2014 - Azure / 5 Magical Projects by Mason Studio
- 2013 - Dezeen / Cloud Installation by Mason Studio